How to keep the people who keep you in Business?
The time was 3pm GMT and knew I just could not afford to close for the day. Just as I was thinking of how to maximise the remaining time so as to be able to complete my tasks for the day, my phone rang. I picked the phone but could sense the frustration in the tone of the person at the end of the line. The person at the other end of the phone is one of our clients at [tag]Nairahost[/tag] and he currently has about 4 hosting accounts with us.
He got a mail from us earlier in the week reminding him of the need to renew one of his hosting accounts. Instead of just making the necessary payment for the renewal of the hosting account, he went ahead to place an order on our website. Our system, therefore, treated it as a new order. Our billing system just recreated his account and sent him the account details.
I listened careful to what he had to say and requested for his old username. I restored his former account and he became a happy man. I looked through the whole situation again and I observed some important things a business owner needs to do if he needs to really keep the people that keep him in business.
- [tag]Customers[/tag] are always right. Most customers might not know what they actually want and in the process of speaking with them, them might annoy you. You just have to remain calm and listen careful to what they have to say. This will help you to understand their challenges and at the same time identify what you need to do immediately. When it seems the customer is wrong, you still have to do everything to ensure that customer is satisfied. A satisfied customer will keep coming back.
it takes more effort to get a new customer than to keep the existing ones
- Respond immediately. When something is wrong, people want and expect to have it fixed immediately.
- Figure out, communicate and agree upon a solution or resolution. Confirm it (in writing if necessary). Do it.
- Show the customers that you are committed to make them happy. This works like magic. Even if you do not understand what to do immediately, still let them know you care and that you would do everything to solve the problem as soon as possible.
- Make a follow-up call after the situation is resolved. This works like magic. I spoke with my client after his problem was resolved and what he said amazes me
Thanks a lot guys you saved my neck. Great Nairahost!
- Get a letter from the customer if you can. Resolving a problem in a positive way establishes a solid base for long-term relationships. Tell the customer you would appreciate a sentence or two about how the situation was resolved. My client has agreed to write a testimonial to be used on our website 🙂
Download this free book – â€œSecrets of the [tag]science of getting rich[/tag]!â€ It is my gift to you.
If you enjoyed this post, subscribe today to get free updates by email or RSS.